Monday, February 13, 2023

Spanish Cedar and Sugar Pine

My dear friend, the late Milford Crumplar, made crosses from one piece of wood on his scroll saw.  He gave me a piece of Spanish cedar on which he had drawn a Celtic cross to cut out and had drilled holes for his saw blade.  I filled the holes with dowels, resewed it, planed to 9/32" and made 28 small crosses, 2 3/8" high, 1/2" wide dados.  While I was at it, I planed a scrap piece of sugar pine to the same thickness and made 10 crosses 2 5/8" high so I could use similar setup.  I finished them all with Puritan Pine stain and 3 coats of urethane, completing in 3 weeks.

finished - Spanish cedar (above), sugar pine (below)


Milford's layout, holes plugged with dowels

resawing

reasawn


plan for Spanish cedar

layout on sugar pine

1/2" dado cuts

ripping strips on sugar pine

journal

No comments:

Post a Comment