Saturday, June 8, 2024

Star of David - Bat Mitzvah Gift

Today, June 8 my nephew's oldest daughter, Sofia, became a Bat Mitzvah. We are proud of her.  I made her a Star of David from a piece of mesquite as a special gift.  Back in January I started planning how to do it, made a prototype out of scrap pine to learn from my mistakes, and began the process in March with a nice piece of mesquite 5/16" x 2 5/8" x 25".  

Finished Star of David for Sofia

Stained and 3 coats of urethane

the Process (click image to enlarge)

Doing the layout and carefully cutting diagonal dadoes was challenging.

Cutting diagonal dado

Depth of cut = 1/2 thickness of board

Cutting triangles

I was able to make 7 stars.  The fits varied, some perfect, others mostly even.
Assembled with a good fit before sanding the faces

Staining with MinWax Golden Oak - a rich finish

Finished Stars of David



 

No comments:

Post a Comment