Thursday, November 19, 2020

3/8" Oak

finished

From a 3/4" oak board, I resawed to 3/8" thick (and 3/16" for a future batch) and made 24 crosses that are 2 3/4" high and 3 small ones 1 13/16" high.  I assembled them on November 3, Election Day.  

I kept the cross on the left with the dark spot for my collection.  I always drill a hole across each vertical piece so people can put a chain or cord through to hang or wear it. I made a mistake and drilled through the face instead of the side, so I glued a piece of 1/8" diameter dowel and sanded it flush.  No one would ever have known if I didn't tell you :-)  Here is the rest of the story:

Years ago when I started making small crosses, I didn't drill the hole for hanging.  My idea was that a cross could be carried in one's pocket or set on a table.  As I gave them away, almost 9 of 10 recipients turned the cross over and said "I could put a hole in that and hang it."  Since then, I drill the hole before assembling.

cutting dadoes

cut strips

cutting pieces

assembled

my specs
p. 74


No comments:

Post a Comment