Monday, November 23, 2020

Mesquite - for a special friend's special friends

 I'm always humbled when a special friend asks me to make a cross that they can share.  This cross will be given as a wedding gift for a special couple.  I was asked to make it about 18" tall; my initial reaction was "too tall" but after thinking about it, I decided it would be a great size, using mesquite that I milled to 1/2" thick x 5/8" wide.  To accentuate the height, I made the cross piece shorter than the ratio I usually use, and placed it higher.  The result was very pleasing, and the Puritan Pine stain on mesquite with two coats of polyurethane really brought out the beauty of the wood.  It will look nice on the wall.

finished cross on dwarf mondo

From the first cut to dried and burnished with burlap took only nine days.

cutting strip from slab

milled and dadoed

ready to be stained

p. 74  Total 3122
Note: Made 2 smaller crosses from the cut strip, 8" high and 4.5" high

No comments:

Post a Comment