Thursday, November 19, 2020

Heart Pine - old hickory stained

After nearly 3 months of not working in the shop (amazing how busy one can be at home during the COVID-19 pandemic), I used some rough sawn old heart pine and made 44 crosses 2 3/4" high.  Half were rough sawn on one side.  Having the can of Old Hickory stain sitting on my workbench from the prior batch, I stained them and then applied two coats of poly as I usually do to finish them.  When totally dry, I burnished the smooth sides on burlap for a finishing touch.

finished

This was the first time I've used the Old Hickory stain on heart pine and probably the last.  The finished crosses look very nice, but I think my Puritan Pine stain looks better.

staining with Old Hickory

drying

burnishing after totally dry


p.73


No comments:

Post a Comment